Free radical damage is the primary cause of skin aging, so it is no surprise that most of the 10 superfoods are antioxidant-rich natural foods. The colour you see in food is the antioxidant nutrient vital to protect against wrinkle-causing free radicals.
Like the antioxidants you put on your skin, it is best to eat different colour groups to get your antioxidant cocktail. The darker green, red, yellow, orange, purple it is, you can be certain it will be better.
Other superfoods help in cellular repair and energy production and settling damaging cellular inflammation.
The 10 Super Foods
- Fish Salmon, Tuna & Sardines
- Whole Grains, Pulses, Lentils & Beans
- Seeds & Nuts.
- Herbs & Spices
- Dark Chocolate
- Fermented Foods -Kim Chi, Sauerkraut,Yogurt, Kefir
- Antioxidant-Rich Drinks.
- Seaweed (Hijiki, Wakame, Kelp, Nori)
5 standouts in the vegetable section:
- Dark, Leafy Greens like spinach (Omega 3, vitamin A) are excellent anti-aging.
- Dark orange vegetables. Sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, carrots, and even orange peppers are rich in bioflavonoids for anti-wrinkle benefits.
- Onions, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots and scallions rich in flavonoids.
- Hot Peppers (chilli) capsaicinoids are antioxidant & anti-inflammatory.
- Beetroot for betacyanin antioxidant.
4 standouts in the fruit section:
- Blueberries with anthocyanins are one of the best fruits to retard wrinkles.
- Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene that protects skin from sun damage.
- Citrus Fruits (bioflavonoids) help protect skin from UV rays and to build collagen.
- Avocados (monounsaturated fats that reduce cellular inflammation)
- The stand out performer is salmon, but all cold-water fish such as tuna and sardines are rich in omega 3.
- The pigment that makes salmon pink, astaxanthin, is a powerful foe of free radicals. A study found that eating one serving every five days can prevent precancerous sunspots.
4. Whole Grains, Pulses, Lentils & Beans
- Whole grains—brown rice and quinoa, buckwheat are excellent sources of rutin and B vitamins that combat inflammation-related skin damage.
- Beans and Lentils high in protein, low in fat, contain good carbohydrates AND contain antioxidants that protect against aging.
- Soy Beans contains daidzein that activates proteins linked to the regulation of aging and longevity.
5. Seeds & Nuts.
- Nuts decrease your risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes, control your weight and reduce wrinkle formation. All nuts are fantastic almonds being a favourite; however, here a couple of others that deserve mention.
- Walnuts contain the most alpha-linolenic omega-3 fatty acids, which lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and reduce inflammation in arteries. Walnuts are also a great source of antioxidants, vitamin E, and selenium, all good for your skin.
- Flaxseed contains Omega-3 fatty acids, which speed up cell metabolism and reduce inflammation in the skin and body.
6. Herbs & Spices
All herbs and spices have benefits but the 3 superstar performers.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory and powerful antioxidant that protects the skin.
- Oregano has Superstar levels of antioxidants, half teaspoon of dried oregano = a whole bowl of spinach.
- Cinnamon has one of the highest antioxidant levels of all herbs and spices. It helps protect against wrinkles and stabilises blood sugar to protect against diabetes.
7. Dark Chocolate
Chocolate is high in flavonoids, substances that have been shown to improve blood flow, improve memory, and give you hydrated, smooth skin.
- Turn Back the Clock: Enjoy a few individually wrapped tasting squares of 70 per cent or darker chocolate every day.
8. Yogurt & Kefir
- Fermented and cultured foods contain probiotics that actively promote optimal health in your body and skin.
9. Antioxidant-Rich Drinks.
- Green Tea: The antioxidants in green tea have been found to protect against DNA sequences’ shortening on our chromosomes. This impact means cells age slower, and drinking on average 3 cups of green tea per day means you will live an additional 5 years.
- Red wine contains anti-aging-giant resveratrol, which protects against cellular damage and aging.
Seaweed is where fish get their Omega-3’s meaning you can skip the fish and go straight to the seaweed. Seaweed also contains powerful antioxidants like green leafy vegetables & sea minerals.
Free Assessment With Our Team.
We offer an obligation-free consultation with our Doctors, Nurses, and Therapist to discuss which treatments will help with your concerns. We assess your suitability for the treatment and give you information on what is involved before, during and after treatment.
Call Us On 3350 5447 For A Free Consultation.