HIFU|High-intensity focused ultrasound
HIFU Benefits & HIFU Results
HIFU treatment is a quick, non-surgical treatment targeting wrinkles, lines and skin sagging. It can be used for the face, neck, decolletage or body. HIFU facial is best suited for patients with mild-to-moderate skin laxity.
A series of treatments are required for optimum results, so we offer packages to make this treatment more affordable.
Please Call Us on 3350 5447 or Book Online For a Free Consultation with our Therapists.
HIFU Treatment Overview
HIFU treatment is targeted in the depth and temperature required to induce new collagen. The treatment uses focused ultrasound energy to heat the layers of skin under the surface and each HIFU treatment is focused on targeted specific depths. With a HIFU facial, these are 3 mm and 4.5 mm. The ultrasound energy heats the layers of tissue, and once the target temperature is reached, there is a controlled injury. It is this controlled injury at targeted depths that stimulates the skin cells to produce new collagen. The increased collagen gives the results from the HIFU facial, i.e. tighter, firmer skin.
HIFU Treatment Uses Natural Repair Mechanisms of Your Skin.
Increased collagen production is achieved without damage to the skin surface because the ultrasound is focused on the tissue at specific depths below the skin. The ultrasound heats the tissue resulting in a healing cascade, specifically stimulating new collagen. Results of HIFU treatment are progressive over the following 6 – 12 weeks. Repeated treatments (3-4) are recommended.
It is a procedure that works best for people with mild to moderate skin sagging. People with more advanced photodamage and sagging as a general rule will require more treatments. Or older people with more severe sun damage and sagging may be better candidates for surgery or facial thread lift.
What is HIFU Treatment?
First introduced in 2008, HIFU (High-intensity focused ultrasound) is an established cosmetic treatment for skin tightening. Often HIFU is included under the umbrella of non-surgical facelifts. However, there are many differences between surgical and non-surgical facelift techniques, and the term is a misnomer. Never the less HIFU uses ultrasound to encourage the production of collagen, resulting in plumper, firmer skin. It is a non-invasive, well-tolerated skin tightening treatment. Although it can be used in many areas, the most common treatment is the face or HIFU facial.
HIFU treatment is primarily used to treat lines, wrinkles and sagging skin concerns on the face, neck and decolletage. However, it can be used anywhere on the body for a non-surgical body lift. HIFU treatment does not provide the dramatic lifting and tightening that a facelift does. So it is not a replacement for this treatment. Instead, HIFU is used for ongoing or preventative treatment to delay the changes occurring in the skin from the loss of collagen. In addition, it is not suitable for people with advanced skin sagging. This group are better suited to surgical facelift if they require treatment.
Benefits of HIFU Facial vs Facelift
Over recent years, there has been increasing interest in the non-surgical approach as an alternative to facelifts. And HIFU, along with radiofrequency and laser skin tightening, have increased. Though none of these alternatives offers the dramatic results of surgical facelifts, they have many benefits, including minimal downtime and avoiding surgery. However, you do need to have realistic expectations of the outcomes.
HIFU Treatment benefits include:
- Wrinkle reduction
- Tightening sagging skin
- It can be used on the face, neck and decolletage
- It can be used on the body
What To Expect During HIFU Treatment
- Makeup will be removed before treatment
- Before Photos will be taken
- Ultrasound gel will be applied before the HIFU treatment commences.
- The treatment takes a full hour and sometimes longer as we need to use 2 different depths of focussed ultrasound—3 mm and 4.5 mm. The ultrasound is delivered in short pulses and adjusted to achieve the desired treatment depth.
- Immediately after treatment, there is mild redness and commonly accompanied by swelling. This gradually recedes over coming hours. Suppose you have a history of swelling in response to cosmetic treatments. We can offer an antihistamine before treatment. Discuss this with our therapist, and they will get our Doctor to review you if needed.
- If a series of treatments is recommended, so we will book you in for your next session before we leave. We also book for your yearly top up after your last treatment, as well as a final after picture at 3 months.
- You can leave and return to normal activity.
Can HIFU be Combined with other Therapies
The answer is yes and even encouraged as HIFU does not treat skin concerns like pigmentation, redness or rosacea and advanced wrinkles or facial sagging.
Pigmentation, facial redness and rosacea are treated with IPL, BBL, lasers and peels. So our therapists might recommend combining your HIFU
HIFU Facial Side Effects
HIFU treatment is considered safe when a trained therapist performs and can return to normal activities immediately afterwards. However, some side effects are essential to understand. Some are common, while others are rare.
- Redness or swelling commonly occur but should settle quickly
- A tingling sensation can occur and may persist for a few weeks
- Rare side effects are temporary numbness, which can last for up to 6 weeks or bruise, which settles over 7-10 days
Call us on 3350 5447 or book online for a free assessment with our therapists.