Who is the ideal PDO Thread candidate?
Though the ideal candidate is in their 30’s or 40’s to restore a more youthful profile, with early signs of skin aging and sagging, they can be used for people in their 20’s as preventative treatment and even ’50s and above. The more advanced treatment may require a combination of PDO mono threads with barbed (more lifting threads).
What are PDO threads, and are they safe?
PDO is a synthetic fibre called polydioxanone that has been used for many years in plastic and general and cardiac surgery. The use as absorbable threads in aesthetics followed decades of use and is believed to be safe. People can have an allergic reaction to these threads (rare) as they are generally non-allergenic and fully biodegradable. Common side effects are minor and temporary, including bruising, swelling and altered sensation. We use Mel
What are the different types of PDO threads?
- Small, medium and long floating threads. These are round and without barbs and primarily used with collagen stimulation as well as armouring effect. These can also be placed deeper for the lipolysis effect or can also create lifting when arranged in vector lines.
- Double screw threads. These are twisted mono threads that are used for volumizing.
- Long barbed or cog threads. These contain a small hook that grabs the skin once inserted for a more pronounced lifting against gravity. These are longer 15- 17 cm or even longer for the body. We provide Matrix and MINT barbed threads.
A treatment plan will always include a mixture of different lengths and different functioning threads.
How is the PDO thread lift procedure performed?
First, a before picture will be taken for comparison of results.
A topical anaesthetic is applied ½ – 1 hour before the procedure to numb the skin.
Either a cannula or a small needle is used to place the thread in the desired position. So there is no need for incision or stitching. You will be awake and able to talk with us. There may be a few spots where it is a little uncomfortable; surprisingly, these procedures are pain-free.
You will see an immediate lift effect at completion of the treatment, but the collagen-stimulating effects begin around 6 weeks and maximally at 6 months. To optimise the treatment outcome, we do recommend taking collagen and other supplements for the entire period.
What are the indications for PDO thread lift?
At Pearl Medispa, we perform lifting across a range of indications. As with all conditions, if more severe, a surgical approach is generally indicated for an adequate response.
- Jowl lift – mild to moderate severity – (Lipodissolve can also be used, dermal filler or surgical liposuction for more severe)
- Jawline slimming – fat reduction & skin tightening (can be combined with dermal filler or Lipodissolve for adequate response)
- Chin tightening – mild double chin, sagging skin (Lipodissolve can be used for more extensive results or surgical liposuction for severe)
- Neck and decolletage rejuvenation – wrinkles & lines, sun damage & sagging skin
- Under-eye circles – eye thread lift collagen production & tightening (dermal fillers or prp can be used)
- Brow forehead lifts – eyebrow thread lift mild to moderate drooping. (more severe surgery indicated)
- Nose reshaping – nose thread lift is performed with
- Lip rejuvenation & plumping – lip thread lift.
- Sagging face – mild to moderate severity – non-surgical facelift. May combine barbed, floating and double screw. It can be used alongside a liquid facelift, which uses advanced dermal filler technique and anti-wrinkle injections. More severe surgery is indicated.
- Body Techniques
- Firming and lifting sagging skin on arms, abdomen, knees.
- Hand rejuvenation
- Treatment stretch marks
- Reduce small stubborn fat deposits (fat freezing, Lipodissolve can also be used.)
Optimising your results from a PDO thread lift
Several factors can affect the result of PDO thread lift and things you can do to improve the outcome. Age, health, diet, lifestyle and smoking impact skin inflammation and your skin immune function. Diet and the gut-skin axis are responsible for upstream cell health and activity, so by positively impacting your gut health, you can reduce systemic inflammation and improve your skin’s ability to heal and produce collagen.
We recommend the GEMM protocol for optimum gut health, Defencell, which contains sulforaphane and a range of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements essential for skin health. These include vitamin D, zinc, B vitamins, and melon derived glisodin to supercharge your innate antioxidant function. (sulforaphane capable of upregulating protective genes which help reduce inflammation, improve immunity and cell function). Supplemental collagen powder and prebiotic powder (florgenex), and plant-derived immunebiotics or metabolic modulators will have your skin cells primed for optimal response.
Smoking harms cell function, and the outcome of all aesthetic procedures is compromised.
What to expect at Pearl Medispa?
What to expect – we will assess you, give you information for optimal outcome and then it is up to you to decide what treatment you want. All consultations involve compulsory skin analysis to understand your skin health, which impacts the outcome of all treatments.
Step 1 Initial Consultation & Assessment.
Thread consultation with our Doctors + skin analysis with our therapists. This is compulsory, and we cannot proceed with further treatment unless we obtain a baseline.
Complimentary skin analysis is performed before our medical consultations.
- We will also gather information on your current skincare (do not worry, we will not make you throw out existing skincare but could recommend some additions)
- We are huge on barrier repair as this not only assists in your skins ability to respond to treatments but decreases the risk of many adverse outcomes.
Confidential assessment with our doctors of your concerns.
- They will come up with a recommended plan according to your goals.
- Go over what is involved in the procedure.
- Provide a written quote
- Answer any questions
- You will leave you with advice on supplements that will optimise your results, recommended skincare and a PDO thread lift plan with a written quote. This will give you knowledge of how it will work, what to expect, and possible side effects to enable you to make an informed decision.
- Though we do not recommend skipping supplements and skincare, these are not compulsory unless you have a specific condition we need to settle. See preparing your skin step 2.
Time: 15-minute skin analysis, 30-minute face assessment and planning.
Step 2 Preparing Your Skin for Optimal Results.
If you are considering a thread lift, you want your skin to be primed to respond optimally.
We will recommend barrier repair treatments and collagen-stimulating products if required for skin and gut.
- Barrier repair cream. (topical niacinamide with 1:1:1 ratio )
- Collagen stimulating supplements – collagen powder + omega 3 oils + vitamin A cream topically.
- Gut healing to decrease inflammation, improve immune response and optimise gut-skin axis—cell logic Defencell, prebiotic Floragenex & Plant-based Immunebiotics or Metabolic modulators. Our Dr Sara dispenses these.
Timeframe: If your skin is in excellent condition, you can proceed immediately. Generally, 2 weeks is required or if more severe inflammation and signs of gut dysbiosis, waiting 6 weeks may be appropriate.
Step 3 The day of your thread lift.
- Before photos are taken, these are compulsory for baseline. (sometimes, people allow us to use their before and after photos, however, we will always get signed permission from you before we did this.)
- We will provide numbing ½ hours before treatment.
- Depending on the PDO treatment, this will take ½ hour to 1 hour.
There can be bruising.
- We can apply cold to assist.
- We can also treat the bruising with our BBL and post-treatment cream.
- Your skin will feel tight.
- Over the next 1-3 days, you may experience swelling.
- Sometimes the threads can be visible underneath the skin as a thin blue line.
- You can wear oxygenetix healing makeup from the next day.
The results slowly develop over the coming 6 weeks, with optimal results expected at 3 – 6 months. As the PDO threads are reabsorbed, they naturally stimulate your skin. There may be some immediate lifting and tightening or volumising effect, but the best outcome develops with time.
Step 4. Maintainance
Depending on the PDO thread lift, these last up to 2 years. This is improved by continued use of the collagen-stimulating supplements and maintaining optimum gut health. However, some people elect for earlier retreatment, for an added benefit (with more advanced aging) or yearly top-up. Our doctors will explain this expectation.