How to reduce pore size? Laser therapy, microneedling, extraction facials, skincare and peels are all useful to minimise pores. Most treatments are temporary and require routine maintenance. However, some provide longer-term results. These treatments can be divided into three categories.
- Laser and microneedling to achieve a longer-term reduction in skin pore size.
- Temporary: Treatments that minimise enlarged pores by keeping them clear of sebum. These include extraction facials, chemical peels and microdermabrasion. These require regular scheduling.
- Skincare such as prescription vitamin A and BHA provides an excellent start to reduce pore size. Once again, skincare requires daily use
Laser Resurfacing & Other Treatments to Reduce Pore Size
Several lasers are effective in reducing pore size. Fraxel, fractional CO2, ablative erbium and even laser genesis work depending on the depth and skin colour and type. Carbon laser facials using Q switch or Pico laser can be added as part of ongoing treatment to reduce pore size. Radiofrequency microneedling is the best overall technology for pore shrinking results, although combining treatments give the best approach.
- In people with darker skin colour, Pico lasers or radiofrequency such as rf microneedling are safer choices.
- Correct application of skin needling can reduce pore size.
- For deeper skin pores, TCA peels or TCA cross is indicated
Therapies Designed to Clear Clogged Pores
There are a couple of therapy treatments that assist in minimising pores.
- Chemical peels, especially salicylic acid or Jessner peels, help clear pore contents.
- Extraction facials are used to clear blackheads & milia and assist in clearing clogged pores.
- Microdermabrasion uses suction to vacuum out pore contents.
As all of these therapies clear the sebum, this will reaccumulate, so routine maintenance is required.
Skincare to Minimise Pores
Excellent products to help reduce pore size are prescription Vitamin A cream, Vitamin B (niacinamide), and over the counter BHA (Salicylic Acid).
- Vitamin A works in several ways to help shrink or reduce pore size. Firstly, it helps slow oil production, and secondly, it helps stabilise the cell turn over—both of this help clear clogged pores.
- Salicylic Acid or BHA 2% is an oil-soluble chemical exfoliant. BHA penetrates the oil in the oil glands, helping exfoliate the pores on the nose and face and improve the cosmetic appearance and minimise pore size.
- The action of niacinamide is not clearly known.
How Long Does Skin Care Reduce Pore Size?
Daily application is required; results are cumulative, and a long-term reduction in pore size can be expected. However, these will both need to be applied daily to minimise pore size.
Call 07 33505447 For A Free Assessment or Email any Queries.
What Causes Enlarged Pores?
Acne, enlarged pores, blackheads, and whiteheads are caused by skin pore function problems and are mainly genetic. Men and women both get enlarged pores, but there is a higher occurrence in men. The underlying predisposition to clogged pores is the amount of oil produced in your skin and susceptibility to the oil gland becoming obstructed.
Enlarged pores are caused by the overproduction of oil and skin cells inside the pore. The pores become clogged with accumulated sebum and dead cells and slowly enlarge. So, treatments to minimise pores should address both of these.
Call us on 3350 5447 or book online for a free consultation.