Cellulite is difficult to treat. However, some treatments do achieve improvement in the appearance of cellulite. These include Lipodissolve injections, cellulaze and some creams that do help minimise the appearance of cellulite.
Two Factors Cause Cellulite
Cellulite most commonly occurs on the thighs and buttocks. It can affect hips, abdomen, breasts and upper arms as well. It starts in early adulthood. The appearance can worsen over time due to skin sagging. However, by the time women are peri-menopausal new cellulite will not occur.
1. Fibrous bands that pull the skin down, tethering it to the underlying muscle.
2. Small pockets of fat that then protrude through the fibrous bands.
The combination of these two cause the dimpling of the surface skin, ‘the dreaded cellulite we all hate’. Treatment of cellulite should address both of these factors. Release the fibrous bands pulling the skin down and break down the pockets of fat. Most Cellulite treatments sold do not work, including massage and cellulite creams.
Cellulite Treatment Available
Lipodissolve is a compounded treatment that is injected to break down the pockets of bulging fat. It appears to have a skin tightening effect as well. Treatment costs vary according to the size of the treatment. A Doctor can only perform these injections. Treatment cost varies with the size, with an approximately a4 treatment area costing $1100. You must book an assessment with our Doctor to ensure your suitability before treatment.
- The only long-lasting solution for cellulite is a laser called Cellulaze.
- Cellulaze is a semi-invasive treatment.
- A probe is inserted under the skin to cut the fibrous bands
- It requires pain relief
- Causes bruising and extended healing
- Cost is consistent with surgical intervention
3. Vitamin A Cream For Cellulite Treatment
Clinical studies have shown Vitamin A creams temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Requires six months of treatment
- The effects wear off after you cease using the creams.
- Vitamin A cream cannot be used while pregnant or breastfeeding.
4. Weight Loss & Exercise for Cellulite Removal
Losing excess weight helps with cellulite removal. However, this does not help women who are of healthy weight. Losing weight will not get rid of this altogether. Currently, cellulaze is the only treatment that is effective for cellulite removal.
Aqua aerobics appears to be the most beneficial exercise for reducing the appearance of cellulite.