A thread facelift is one of the fastest-growing anti-ageing treatments. There are many different face threads available on the market, including PDO mono threads, MINT, Silhouette and Aptos threads. There are two different approaches:
- smooth floating threads placed under your skin to stimulate collagen production – PDO threads
- barbed face threads to lift skin – MINT and Aptos Threads
PDO Threads are for Skin Laxity
PDO thread achieves tightening and lifting through collagen stimulation. This involves up to 100 – 200 small threads under the skin along certain vector lines. These are designed to smooth the surface and improve texture and skin quality, smooth wrinkles, tightening sagging skin with a minimally invasive non-surgical procedure. However, with correct placement of the monofilaments, lifting is achieved.
MINT Threads are for Skin Redundancy
With barbed face threads such as the MINT threads, 8- 12 long barbed threads are inserted under the skin. These are then pulled to lift redundant skin. Depending on the technique used, thread lifting can restore volume to its rightful place. There is also collagen stimulation, with this but not as much as with PDO threads.
Both PDO and MINT Threads are Absorbable
The procedure of thread lifting Threads can be absorbable (these dissolve naturally over time) or non-absorbable. Adsorbable threads stimulate the skin to produce more natural collagen and elastin, resulting in long-lasting results. Both PDO and MINT threads are resorbable.
What Can Be Achieved With A Thread Lift?
Thread facelifts can be used to restore many ageing facial concerns, including tightening sagging skin, smoothing wrinkles, lift the outer brow.
A PDO thread lift can also be used for tightening jawline, neck and body areas. The results of PDO threads take time to develop, whereas, in MINT threads, the results are immediate.
Who Is An Ideal candidate For A Thread Lift?
- The best candidate is between 35 -55 years of age, though it is not restricted to this.
- If there is too much loose skin, then surgery may be a better option.
- Thread lifts are used to top up Facelifts.
Indications for a thread lift:
- sagging of the skin across the entire face
- loss of tissue volume
- fine lines and wrinkles, cheek wrinkles
- some expression wrinkles
- eyebrows descent
- mild to moderate jowl appearance
- bags under the eyes
- turkey neck
- patients with some relapse from a facelift or neck lift
- sagging of body skin
What can you expect to see after your thread lift?
- A discrete lifting. (not a pulled tight look)
- More jawline definition through the lifting of the jowls.
- More youthful cheek curves as the volume are pulled up.
- Softening of nasolabial and marionette folds.
- Smoothing of fine lines and wrinkles across cheeks and lower face.
- Overall improvement in facial contours and skin tone.
- Lifting of sagging neck skin with a thread neck lift.
Consultation with Our Doctors
In the meeting, our doctors will go over entirely what you to expect before, during and after the procedure, any possible unwanted effects, what results to expect and any precautions.
Call Us On 3350 5447 or Email Any Queries
How Does a Thread Facelift Work?
The MINT and PDO thread facelift work in different ways. Both were designed to give an immediate natural lifting effect combined with the progressive restoration of lost collagen. The MINT threads contain small barbs and provide a more dramatic effect than the smooth PDO threads.
For more pronounced facial sagging, the MINT thread facelift is indicated, whereas PDO threads are used for early sagging or preventive measures in younger women. Neither gives results as marked as a facelift, but the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, takes 30 – 60 minutes, with minimal downtime and effects that last up to two years. The skin threads are made from a unique material that works to stimulate collagen growth in your skin. You will notice a progressive and gradual improvement in your skin texture and tone as these dissolvable threads impact.
MINT Skin Threads Treatment
The treatment involves threading of the dissolvable threads under the skin. When pulled upwards, they provide an immediate lift across your face. MINT threads then stimulate new collagen to be laid down around the threads, replenishing skin tone and a more youthful contour.
Our doctors will need to assess your face to determine the correct placement for your thread facelift. They offer a free consultation to evaluate if you would benefit from a thread lift or if another treatment approach would be better.
MINT Thread Facelift- Mini Facelift
- A mini facelift is performed with local anaesthetic as a lunchtime procedure. You can resume most of your normal activities. (There are some exceptions. Strenuous exercise, excessive facial movement and adopting an altered sleeping posture which our doctors will explain fully)
- There is no surgery and minimal bruising, no scars with the Aptos mini facelift.
- The absorbable threads break down slowly over time ( about 18 months) and, in the process, stimulate collagen production. The resulting skin rejuvenation provides long-lasting and natural-looking aesthetic results.
- Expect results to last 3-5 years, depending on the mini facelift technique. Some people will require top-up treatment before this depending on your expectations.
- PDO threads can be used for volumising and filling facial lines. Examples of areas PDO threads are useful for lip lines, frown lines, marionette lines, lip shaping, plus many more areas.
PDO Thread Lift | Non-surgical lower face-lift, neck lift, eye, eyebrow thread lift.
A PDO thread lift is designed to lift and tighten skin, replace volume and aid in sculpting a younger, more refreshed look. PDO threads are used on the body and face and in specialised treatments of eyebrow lift, tear trough, lips and even nose.
Who is the ideal PDO Thread candidate?
Though the ideal candidate is in their 30’s or 40’s to restore a more youthful profile, with early signs of skin aging and sagging, our Doctors use them for people in their late 20’s as preventative treatment even in the ’50s and above. The more advanced treatment may require a combination of PDO mono threads with barbed (more lifting threads).
What are PDO threads, and are they safe?
PDO is a synthetic fibre called polydioxanone that has been used for many years in plastic and general and cardiac surgery. The use as absorbable threads in aesthetics followed decades of use and is believed to be safe. People can have an allergic reaction to these threads (rare) as they are generally non-allergenic and fully biodegradable. Common side effects are minor and temporary, including bruising, swelling and altered sensation. We use Mel
What are the different types of PDO threads?
- Small, medium and long floating threads. These are round and without barbs and primarily used with collagen stimulation as well as armouring effect. These can also be placed deeper for the lipolysis effect or can also create lifting when arranged in vector lines.
- Double screw threads. These are twisted mono threads that are used for volumizing.
- Long barbed or cog threads. These contain a small hook that grabs the skin once inserted for a more pronounced lifting against gravity. These are longer 15- 17 cm or even longer for the body. We provide PDO mint thread lift and MINT barbed threads.
A treatment plan will always include a mixture of different lengths and different functioning threads.
How is the PDO thread lift procedure performed?
- First, we will take before pictures for a comparison of results.
- A topical anaesthetic is applied ½ – 1 hour before the procedure to numb the skin.
- Either a cannula or a small needle is used to place the thread in the desired position. So there is no need for incision or stitching. You will be awake and able to talk with us. There may be a few spots where it is a little uncomfortable; surprisingly, these procedures are pain-free.
You will see an immediate lift effect at completion of the treatment, but the collagen-stimulating effects begin around 6 weeks and maximally at 6 months. To optimise the treatment outcome, we do recommend taking collagen and other supplements for the entire period.
What are the indications for PDO thread lift?
At Pearl Medispa, we perform lifting across a range of indications. As with all conditions, if more severe, a surgical approach is generally indicated for an adequate response.
- PDO thread lift or jowl lift – mild to moderate severity – (Lipodissolve can also be used, dermal filler or surgical liposuction for more severe)
- Jawline slimming – fat reduction & skin tightening (can be combined with dermal filler or Lipodissolve for adequate response)
- Chin tightening – mild double chin, sagging skin (Lipodissolve can be used for more extensive results or surgical liposuction for severe)
- Neck and decolletage rejuvenation – wrinkles & lines, sun damage & sagging skin
- Under-eye circles – eye thread lift collagen production & tightening (dermal fillers or prp can be used)
- Brow forehead lifts – eyebrow thread lift mild to moderate drooping. (more severe surgery indicated)
- Nose reshaping – PDO thread lift or HIKKO nose lift
- Lip rejuvenation & plumping – lip thread lift.
- Sagging face – mild to moderate severity – non-surgical facelift. May combine barbed, floating and double screw. PDO threads can be used alongside a liquid facelift, which uses advanced dermal filler technique and anti-wrinkle injections. More severe surgery is indicated.
- Body Techniques
Specialised PDO Thread Techniques
There are a couple of specialised mono thread lift techniques that are worth knowing. These face filling techniques and the Korean V Lift
Face Filling Techniques
PDO threads are also be used for filling small areas of deficit. The special double screw PDO threads are smoothly twisted threads without barbs. When they are put into place, they untwist, providing volume replacement and collagen growth. They are used in areas such as marionette lines, nasolabial lines and necklines. Though this technique can also be used in the tear trough, it is really best to use dermal fillers or undereye fillers and PRP for the more delicate undereye area.
Korean Facelift or V Lift
Korean facelift is an entirely different approach to treatment. Originating from Korea, these are non-barbed (floating threads). The vital action is to insert tiny threads deep in your skin to stimulate collagen. However, the nature of threads’ insertion creates an immediate armouring (or scaffolding) effect. As well as an ongoing natural collagen growth. It is recommended as a preventative, collagen-stimulating treatment for women and men to prevent sagging in the lower face.
What Can The Korean Thread Lift Do For You?
The Korean thread facelift provides a dual approach to facial rejuvenation. Firstly by plumping of facial collagen and secondly through armouring facial sagging. The collagen growth helps top up the lost skin volume for more youthful contours, which the armouring improves uneven jawline and lines and folds across your face.
Who Is suitable for Korean Threadlift?
Face threading is suitable for men and women from age 30 to ’70s. Early facial sagging appears in your 30’s; the extent is genetically determined. But as soon as there is a loss of definition from a sagging facial face, threading becomes an option to help. It is appealing for people to achieve subtle natural results rather than very dramatic outcomes of a facelift.
Do you want to know more about our PDO thread lift or MINT techniques – book a free assessment with our Doctors? Dr Alex specialises in MINT thread lifts.
Book Online or Call 3350 5447 to book a free assessment with our Doctors.