HIFU Treatment Brisbane
Benefits and Effectiveness of HIFU Facelift and Skin Tightening
HIFU treatment is a quick, non-surgical procedure targeting wrinkles, lines and skin sagging. It can be used for the face, neck, decolletage and body to create a firming effect, tightening and improved skin quality and texture. The HIFU facelift is part of a growing trend in cosmetic treatments for minimally invasive alternatives to surgery. At Pearl, we specialise in the HIFU facial (HIFU facelift ) and neck tightening, providing some of the benefits of a facelift without surgery. How much tightening and lifting is achieved with the HIFU facelift, and how does it compare to traditional facelift procedures?
Let’s go over a few points to help you decide if a HIFU treatment is right for you. Our therapists provide a complimentary assessment, where you can find out more details, so it is best to call us at the outset for a free consultation.
Book Online or Call Us on 33505447 to book a Free Assessment with our Therapists
What is HIFU Skin Tightening?
Non-surgical Skin tightening procedures have been at the centre of aesthetic procedures for around four decades. Starting with resurfacing using lasers and deep chemical peels, significant improvements in technologies have provided us with innovative minimally invasive therapies over the intervening time. The first significant breakthroughs came through with radiofrequency RF skin tightening and fractionated or Fraxel laser treatments. HIFU treatment may be the new kid on the block, but it is taking centre stage at the moment, with the HIFU facial being widely used as a facelift substitute around the world.
First introduced in 2008, HIFU (High-intensity focused ultrasound) uses ultrasound to encourage collagen production, resulting in plumper, firmer skin. Although it can be used in many areas, the most common treatment is the face or HIFU facial. HIFU treatment is primarily used for line, wrinkles and sagging skin concerns on the face and neck. However, it can be used anywhere on the body for a non-surgical body lift.
How does HIFU Treatment Work?
HIFU treatment is targeted in-depth, and temperatures are required to induce new collagen. The treatment uses ultrasound energy to heat the layers of skin under the surface. Therefore, each treatment is focused on targeted specific depths. (For example, with a HIFU facial, the treatments are 3 mm and 4.5 mm deep.)
Hifu Facial uses ultrasound waves to heat deeper layers of your skin. The heat creates controlled injury, causing your skin to mount a healing and repair response—the induces production of new collagen to firm your skin and elastin for more spring.
HIFU Uses Natural Repair Mechanisms of Your Skin.
Increased collagen production is achieved without damage to the skin surface. The Ultrasound heats the tissue resulting in a healing cascade and stimulation of new collagen. HIFU treatment results develop progressively over 6 – 12 weeks.
HIFU treatments have been shown to
- Smooth wrinkles and fine lines on the face
- Tighten sagging skin on the neck (turkey neck)
- Define jawline by reducing jowls
- In fact, firm and tightening skin on most places of your face and body
- Improve skin texture and quality
How effective is a HIFU Facelift?
The results of a HIFU facial cannot be compared to the dramatic effects of a facelift, and with good aftercare, results last up to 12 months. But it does produce significant lifting and is favoured by younger women as a preventative measure.
The HIFU treatment was popularised by the Korean V lift – which used combinations of HIFU facial and PDO threads to create a lower and mid-facelift (lift sagging jowls). To recreate a classical v-shaped face. (which is considered a sign of youthfulness)
Who Is the Ideal Candidate for HIFU Skin Tightening?
HIFU skin tightening works best for people with mild to moderate skin sagging. So people with more advanced photodamage and skin sagging will require more treatments and may be better candidates for surgery or facial thread lift.
- The ideal candidate for HIFU skin tightening has mild to moderate skin laxity (generally in their 30’s).
- Women with more pronounced facial sagging may require 2,3, or more treatments to achieve a satisfactory result.
- With advanced sagging, surgical facelift of thread lifting may be a better option.
- HIFU skin tightening is not recommended for skin infection, pores, severe acne, or metal implants.
A 2018 review of 231 studies on ultrasound for skin tightening, body contouring and cellulite reduction showed it was effective and safe in addressing multiple aesthetic concerns. 1.
What is involved in a HIFU Skin Tightening?
- The HIFU skin tightening treatment begins with cleansing the skin.
- Before Photos will be taken so you can see your progress at 3 months.
- The numbing gel will be applied 30 -40 minutes before the HIFU facial commences.
- The HIFU facelift treatment takes 45 – 60 and longer for the face and neck as we need to use 2 different depths of focussed ultrasound—3 mm and 4.5 mm. The ultrasound is delivered in short pulses and adjusted to achieve the desired treatment depth.
- You may feel areas of prickling sensations, but generally, there is minimal discomfort during the procedure.
- Immediately after treatment, there is mild redness and commonly accompanied by swelling. This gradually recedes over coming hours. Suppose you have a history of swelling in response to cosmetic treatments. We can offer an antihistamine before treatment. Discuss this with our therapist, and they will get our Doctor to review you if needed.
- If more than 1 treatment is recommended, we will book you for your next session before leaving. We also book for your yearly top up after your last treatment, as well as a final after picture at 3 months.
- You can leave and return to normal activity.
Preparing for Your HIFU Facial
There is no preparation required for the HIFU treatment, although there are skincare and supplements that help maximise your skin’s ability to produce new collagen. These include using skincare containing Vitamins A, B & C, taking collagen powder and zinc, and ensuring optimal gut health. In contrast, smoking, stress and poor sleep or certain medical conditions can interfere with your bodies innate healing and repair responses and decrease the effectiveness of the treatment.
Results and Recovery after HIFU Skin Tightening
There is no recovery, and HIFU skin tightening is considered safe when performed by a trained therapist. However, there are some side effects; some are common, while others are rare.
- Redness and swelling are common can last for days, but you can resume normal activities immediately.
- A tingling sensation can occur and may persist for a few weeks
- Rare side effects are temporary numbness, which can last for up to 6 weeks or bruise, which settles over 7-10 days
- We would not recommend strenuous exercise for 24 hours after your treatment.
Results take several weeks to develop, as HIFU skin tightening relies on your skin to produce new collagen to obtain the desired firming and skin textural improvement. Therefore, maximal results are seen at three months.
HIFU Facelift vs Surgical Facelift?
So how do the benefits and results of the HIFU facelift stack up against surgery and other non-surgical skin tightening and lifting therapies?
HIFU Facial vs Facelift Experience.
HIFU treatment is non-invasive, has no general anaesthetic, is low risk and has minimal side effects and recovery.
Surgical Facelift is invasive, requires general anaesthesia. Risks include infection, scarring and risks from anaesthesia. (These are not common with a good plastic surgeon and candidate selection). Recovery and downtime are significant, with up to 2 weeks for initial healing, bruising, swelling, and 1 – 3 months for surgical results to fully develop.
HIFU Facial vs Facelift Results
HIFU treatment achieves mild to moderate lifting with increased firmness and skin texture improvements which can take up to 3 months to reach maximal effect.
Surgical Facelift can achieve dramatic lifting ( if you have the right surgeon), and results are evident after initial healing and swelling and bruising subside. However, the results continue to improve over three months or more. Skin texture improvements can also be dramatic after a facelift.
HIFU Facial vs Facelift Cost
HIFU facial cost – At Pearl, we charge a modest $700 for HIFU facial treatment. With good aftercare, these results can last up to 12 months.
Surgical Facelift cost – these are merely ballpark figures. The only accurate way to get a quote for the price of a facelift is a consultation with your plastic surgeon. Many variables enter into this. It can include surgeons fees, anaesthetists, hospital and theatre costs etc., as well as the type of facelift you have. Expect a range of $6 500 to $12,000 for a facelift and up to 25,000 for a face and neck lift. The excellent news is facelift results last for up to 10-12 years.
Can a HIFU Facial be Combined with other Therapies?
The answer is yes and even encouraged as ultrasound does not treat skin concerns like pigmentation, redness or rosacea and advanced wrinkles or facial sagging. Pigmentation, facial redness and rosacea are treated with IPL, BBL, lasers and peels. When used heat-based treatments such as CO2 laser and BBL, you should space treatments 2 weeks apart.
The most common treatment used in combination with ultrasound would be PDO thread lift – the classic Korean V Lift, as both procedures are designed to lift by increasing your skin’s natural collagen levels. The results of treatments are additive.
- Juhász, Margit MD; Korta, Dorota MD, PhD; Mesinkovska, Natasha Atanaskova MD, PhD* A Review of the Use of Ultrasound for Skin Tightening, Body Contouring, and Cellulite Reduction in Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery: July 2018 – Volume 44 – Issue 7 – p 949-963