The basic essential step in treating acne is to adopt a good skincare plan that will address the underlying factors that cause blemishes. In people with mild acne, a good acne skin care plan may be all that is required to keep blemishes under control. Once you have moderate to severe acne, medical treatment will also be required.
Acne skincare program.
1. A gentle cleanser to remove oil build-up, makeup and dirt from the skin’s surface, preparing it for any active product you put on. This should not be overly drying and should ideally be at a ph approximating that of the skin.
2. An exfoliant to accelerate the removal of dead skin cells on the skin’s surface that may clog oil glands and cause blemishes. The best exfoliants to use are Salicylic Acids/ BHAs as these are oil soluble and penetrate the pores and clear the dead compacted cells causing the obstruction.
3. Sunscreen- a gel-based or non-pore obstructing sunscreen
Acne skincare may include the addition of;
• Non-prescription disinfectants benzoyl peroxide or tea tree oil
• Prescription topical antibiotic creams or retinoids.