Sun Damage, Skin Texture Changes & Skin Aging.
The way the sun affects your skin is mainly genetic. However, in Brisbane, everyone needs to maintain high UV protection to avoid damage to their skin.
Sun damage is the primary cause of wrinkling, skin texture changes & facial ageing. This damage is cumulative: even small doses add up weekly, monthly, and yearly to premature ageing. The UV radiation from the sun damages collagen and elastin, causes free radical production and skin inflammation, and makes your skin cells behave abnormally.
- Cell turnover decreases, causing a build-up of dead compacted skin cells.
- The skin becomes duller, loses its youthful glow and becomes coarser and rougher.
- Reduced collagen and damaged elastin result in fine lines, wrinkles, and skin sagging.
- Sun damage also causes abnormal pigmentation, with clumps of pigment discolouring the surface.
The sun doesn’t merely speed up the normal ageing process. Instead, it causes us to age differently – photo ageing.
Photo Ageing Texture Changes
- The dry, rough upper layer of skin with a build-up of dead compacted skin cells.
2. Decreased ability to hold moisture
3. Enlarging pores.
4. Blotchy pigmentation.
Sun damage also leads to decreased collagen production – an essential protein in your skin. It damages elastin fibres, which give your skin a youthful spring. This results in further skin texture changes:
- Skin becoming thick, leathery
6. Fine lines and wrinkles develop.
- Develop broken capillaries and nose veins.
Sun damage can also cause more severe problems, such as skin cancer.
Because of this, the most crucial way to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. Daily use of a good-quality sunscreen or sunblock combined with reduced sun exposure should form a fundamental part of your anti-ageing skincare routine.
Treatment Options For Skin Texture & Sun Damaged Skin
Treatment options for surface texture and sun damage concerns depend on the changes and severity.
Skin Care Essentials To Treat Sun Damage & Ageing
- SPF 30+ SUNSCREEN
2. Prescription retinoids can reverse photo ageing to appear more youthful.
- Retinoids increase cell turnover and decrease dead compacted cells’ build-up, giving the skin a more youthful glow and smoother surface.
- They stimulate collagen production and repair elastin to reduce the depth of wrinkles.
- They decrease skin pigmentation to give an evener skin colour
Various types of resurfacing or laser/ light treatments:
- Chemical Peels – medium-depth peels such as a TCA peel or Jessner Peel
- IPL or laser treats sun damage pigmentation and broken capillaries
- Laser resurfacing with CO2 laser
- Radiofrequency skin tightening
- Fractionated laser treatments.
Assessment Of Your Skin Texture and Sun-Damaged Concerns?
A Doctor should assess Sun-damaged skin to exclude skin cancer.
Our nurse can provide a free assessment at the outset, but generally, sun-damaged skin treatment involves a prescription or medical treatments and a referral to our Doctor.
Please book online or call 07 33505447 for a consultation with our skin & laser nurse, Christine.