Pigmentation and Broken Capillaries on the Chest
Poikiloderma is a common chest hyperpigmentation condition and is a result of fine superfical capillaries, hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation. Poikiloderma presents as a red-brown patch of discolouration, most common on the neck. It also occurs on the side of the face and decolletage. The second cause is a red chest appearance, which results from broken capillaries on the chest. Broken capillaries on the chest are most common in skin types I – III. Treatment of pigmentation, poikiloderma and broken capillaries on the chest required laser or IPL.
Changes in the skin’s structure cause wrinkles, lines, and sagginess. Time and sun damage deplete collagen levels, and elastin damage causes deterioration in skin integrity, resulting in wrinkles and sagging. Decolletage wrinkles worsen when you wake up in the morning and gradually fade as the day progresses. (This occurs due to sleeping in a position that compresses the skin.) However, the chest wrinkles or lines become fixed over time and will not disappear during the day. These décolletage wrinkles can also be linked to a gradual change in colour from poikiloderma or broken capillaries on the chest. Collagen induction creams and treatments such as TIXEL and CO2 laser are the most effective treatments for chest wrinkles. TIXEL is the latest collagen induction treatment, and we prefer this over the CO2 laser for decolletage treatments.
Overview of Décolletage Treatment
Treatment for decolletage is determined by pigmentation, broken capillaries, decolletage wrinkles, or a combination of these conditions.
- Collagen-stimulating treatments such as TIXEL, skin creams, lasers, and skin needling work best for chest wrinkles.
- PDO threads are another treatment that stimulates collagen and tightens the skin.
- Prescription retinoids remain the gold standard for treating sun damage, decolletage wrinkles and uneven skin tone. We advise everyone to commence Retinoid therapy as it makes all modalities more effective.
Laser for Chest Wrinkles and Colour Changes
Laser décolletage treatment is effective for reducing chest wrinkles and treating pigmentation.
- Poikiloderma, pigmentation and capillaries respond best to hyperpigmentation laser treatments. IPL, such as the BBL Hero, or long-pulsed lasers with treatment wavelengths of 1064nm or 532nm.
- The most effective laser for chest wrinkles is one that stimulates collagen remodelling. Fractional CO2 laser for chest wrinkles and RF microneedling are two examples. Although RF is not strictly laser, it is usually classified as a laser for chest wrinkles because combining CO2 and RF produces the best results.
Creams for Decolletage Treatment
Prescription retinoids are best for treating sun damage and wrinkles, while niacinamide and retinoids treat pigmentation on the chest. Retinoids increase cell turnover, stimulate collagen production, reduce inflammation, clear pigmentation, and repair sun damage and discoloured decollete skin.
Niacinamide can also help with chest pigmentation. It is a vitamin B3 derivative that aids in the reduction of melanin production. Niacinamide-containing creams also help to reduce chest wrinkles and protect against UV rays. Other ingredients that can help with chest pigmentation include kojic acid, hydroquinone, and azelaic acid.
Skin Needling Decolletage
Skin needling is one of several collagen induction therapies used to treat décolletage wrinkles. Other collagen-stimulating treatments, such as fractional skin resurfacing, can help reduce chest or décolletage wrinkles, restoring a youthful appearance.
- Skin needling is an entry-level treatment;
- More potent collagen-stimulating therapies, such as fractional CO2 laser resurfacing and RF microneedling, are available.
- PDO threads, another novel treatment, place many (100 -300). PDO threads work by tightening the skin, improving the skin’s texture, and assisting in skin armouring.
- All collagen-stimulating treatments should be used in conjunction with retinoid therapy.
Chest Wrinkle Pads
Décolletage wrinkles necessitate a treatment to stimulate the production of new collagen and elastin. However, in the early stages, you can sleep with chest wrinkle pads. The chest wrinkle pads help reduce the appearance of wrinkles by hydrating the skin and preventing skin compression. The chest wrinkle pads, however, will not affect ongoing skin damage or textural changes.
We offer you a free assessment with our laser and skin nurse, Christine you, to discuss your decolletage treatment options. Then, if necessary, she can refer you to our Doctors for medical treatment.
Please book online or call 07 3350 5447 for a free assessment with our Laser Therapist and Nurse Christine.